Monday, April 22, 2024

Using A Flow Chart for Dungeon Maps

Quickie today!

 I've been running Starfinder recently, and with the final session coming up I needed to prepare the ship the party would be stealing from. However I knew I didn't need a highly detailed, highly time consuming map of the ship, but I also didn't want to run it entirely off the cuff. I was inspired by the idea of Point Crawls, so I ended up going with a flowchart map, as seen below:


I highly recommend this method, here's why:

  1. Ease of Use: While not as rigid as a standard square grid map, it also isn't so loose that the players and the GM can still use it for reference.
  2. Room to Expand: The areas and passages give an idea of how everything connects, but leaves room for improvisation at the table. How it connects can be left up to GM Fiat. For example the connection between the Living area and Maintenance might be an elevator, a staircase, or a series of floors that transition between the two depending on what the GM and Players need at the table.
  3. Ease of Creation: I made this map in about an hour using app.diagrams.net. It's a free browser program than links right into Google Drive.
I know I'm not the first to use flow chart maps before, but I felt inspired to write up a quick blogpost about mine, after my friend told me to. If you end up feeling inspired an make a flow chart map, feel free to tag me @qw3rty_jp to show me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Using A Flow Chart for Dungeon Maps

Quickie today!  I've been running Starfinder recently, and with the final session coming up I needed to prepare the ship the party would...